Sunday, 12 January 2014
My number one goal for 2014 is deceptively difficult - it sounds so simple, but I know that it will be a real challenge for me. What I’m setting out to do is to control my temper and stop shouting - especially at my kids. I don’t mean to sound like I’m a crazy person that is always yelling and carrying on - but I have those all-to-common moments where my chest gets tight, my blood pressure rises and I get so frustrated that I could scream - and too often I do! And then I get even more frustrated - at myself. After YEARS - and I mean years - of nearly daily yoga practice, how can I still lose my cool like that? So my biggest goal for this year is to take all that I am ON my mat - flexible, strong, consistent, temperate - and take it OFF my mat and into my real life. I found a great quote the other day - “Advancing in your yoga practice means that you can continue doing basic things - like breathing deeply, observing your entire body, and quieting your inner narrator - in increasingly difficult situations (on and off your mat)”. That pretty much sums it up.
That’s the big goal - in fewer words, it is to make my LIFE my practice, to commit to living as fully as I can in the moment, and to prioritize the quality of my actions over the quantity of them (the to-do list isn’t likely to go anywhere...).
My other goals for the year are as follows:
- continue to make one-on-one time with Chris a priority (date nights, maybe even a weekend away sans kids, etc)
- Put my best efforts forward with my new job
- continue with yoga each morning before work - I’m currently at a steady 30-45minutes, I’d like to increase that to 45-60minutes if possible. Once weekly this will be a 6am Bikram yoga class (90min). My goal posture to master for this year is peacock (a forearm balancing inversion) AWAY from wall support!
- continue running avg 3d/week - I’ve joined the Marathon Club again and my #1 goal race is the Waterton-Glacier Relay in June. I’m sure I’ll do a number of smaller events as well.
- 2013 photo book finished by the end of Feb 2014
- finally finish Sebastian’s baby book (he’s 26mo!! LOL)
- One visit to Kelowna with kids
- One trip to Ontario with kids if possible
- At least 3x camping overnights this summer
- At least 2x ski weekends this winter- Sober February as in 2013